Growing up, people ask you who knows how many times, “What do you want to be when you grow up?” I know that I came back with a number of different dreams. I have always wanted to be a mom, but that’s not what they were asking. At one time I wanted to be an Aeronautical Engineer because I love space - thinking about it, learning about it, looking at it, whatever! Other times I wanted to be a dancer or a singer or an artist. At one point I even wanted to be a martial artist like Bruce Lee and Jackie Chan, thanks to my big brothers. :) What did you want to be?
Then life happens. Perhaps it’s a job that just brings in money, but you are not really excited about. It may be a family that now requires much of your extra energy. Or like many of us, it’s a surprise obstacle that screeches life to a halt, such as a chronic illness. What then? Do your dreams suddenly disappear? Do you just consciously give up on them? Do you think hopefully that someday you will still get to them? Or do you keep the dream alive even if it’s in baby steps?
Going after your dreams is a great vehicle to stay alive. Personally, if I don’t have something meaningful to strive for, I start to deteriorate. Suddenly, I am feeling all the aches, pains, fatigue and stresses of life even more acutely. I lose hope of being strong and active again. I even forget what it feels like to be happy. My family begins losing their mom, bit by bit. BUT, if I can have a project to work on that is uniquely me, that pulls beauty from inside of me, I feel alive. I don’t focus on the yuk as much and start to feel better, more connected to my family and friends, and even valuable to society. I actually enjoy living.
So, for me, going after my dreams is essential! I must always be working on something that is meaningful to me. Something that I can create or improve or use my gifts and talents to bring joy to my life and the lives of those around me. Then, my family sees the real me, the happy me, the me that is loving them and living my dreams - chronic illness or not!!